Ferdinand was brought to Sodor in April 1960 from his logging line in Oregon with Bash and Dash and transferred to Misty Island to help run the logging operation. Ferdinand is a gentle giant. He is a bigger and slower engine who is able to make special tweeting, booming sounds with his whistles.
He runs on wood and oil and can often be heard saying "That's Right".
Ferdinand is based on a pre-1910 Climax Class C logging locomotive built for logging and intended more for traction with heavy loads than for speed.
Ferdinand is painted teal with grey lining. He has a semi-circular symbol depicting three yellow trees with two brown axes crossing each other on both sides of his cab and tender.
- Ben Small (UK; Misty Island Rescue - Season 16)
- Keith Wickham (UK; Season 19 onwards)
- Glenn Wrage (US; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Ferdinand can run on either wood or oil.
- Ferdinand is modified for working on British lines. He has added buffers and screwlink couplings.
- Ferdinand has a A flat whistle.
- He travels far faster in the television series than his prototype is capable.