Bash and Dash are mischievous twins who always finish each others sentences. They were sent to Misty Island in April 1960 because they were naughty on the mainland, but now they always try to do their best for The Fat Controller.
Bash and Dash used to work the railway in Oregon, but they caused too much trouble and were sent to the railway on Misty Island, where they became "Logging Locos" along with Ferdinand. They are the 4th pair of engine twins after Donald and Douglas, Bill and Ben, and Pip and Emma.
Bash and Dash are based on the Bear Harbor Lumber Company's locomotive #1, built and operated in California. This type of engine is known as a "gypsy". These engines were used in the logging industry for yarding. However, their gearing appears to be on their backs instead of their fronts and their cabs appear much sturdier, as opposed to the "open" cab that their real life counterpart possesses. They are modified to standard gauge from narrow gauge.
Bash's boiler, wheels, and lining are painted slate grey, his cab and dome are painted saffron.
Dash's boiler, wheels, and lining are painted saffron, his cab and dome are painted slate grey.
They both have a semi-circular symbol depicting three yellow trees with two brown axes crossing each other on the right sides of their cabs.
- Matt Wilkinson (UK; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Kerry Shale (US; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- まさやす わかばやし (Japan; Misty Island Rescue only)
- みつひろ さかまき (Japan; Series 14 onwards)
- Keith Wickham (UK; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- William Hope (US; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- としあき かすが (Japan; Misty Island Rescue only)
- 広尾 ささき (Japan; Series 14 onwards)
- Bash and Dash can run on either wood or oil.
- Bash has a high G whistle while Dash has a high A whistle.
- Bash doesn't have freckles, whereas Dash does.
- Bash and Dash are the only standard gauge engines without buffers.
- Bash and Dash are the only engines that have their wheels on the outside of their chassis and their wheels do not appear to be attached to their underframes.